We’d love to introduce you to Red Apple Guy, June’s member of the month! A member since 2004, Red Apple Guy lives just outside of Atlanta and hosts two of our forums, Grilling & Smoking and Crock-Pot Cooking, but his culinary talents and interests don’t stop there. Browse through his photos and recipes and you’ll see tons of beautiful baked goods — crusty breads, croissants, pizza dough and more.
The Top 10 Things You Need to Know About Red Apple Guy
1) Grilling is too fast for this slow-cooker aficionado. There’s a reason he hangs around the slow cooker forum so much — smoking meats is also a slow-go operation. The temps in the slow cooker are about the same as in a smoker.
2) Much of his love for cooking came from his parents. “Mom couldn’t make biscuits to save her life but she was a great cook. I loved her gravies and sauces. Thanks to her, I kept trying until I made a decent buttermilk biscuit. Dad was in the restaurant management business when I was younger. And he and I would stay up late making chicken and sausage gumbo.”
3) He gets stuck on cooking one thing. Recently, he baked three batches of croissants within 10 days. Then it was finally time to move on!
4) His kids drop by often for dinner and a show (Dr. Who or The Walking Dead). He has two married daughters who also live near Atlanta and his son is an actor who lives in LA in a perpetual state of homesickness.
5) He has two grandkids, ages 9 and 4, who enjoy baking bread with him.
6) Red Apple Guy loves fly fishing. In his words: “Trout live in beautiful places.”
7) His wife, Charlotte, “has the world’s best Southern accent. People put her on the speaker phone during phone calls so the entire office can hear her voice. To her, ‘have’ and ‘am’ are each two-syllable words.”
8) He is a giver. He has been teaching kids at his church for about 30 years. He just loves teaching elementary-age kids.
9) Each year his church hosts two Thanksgiving dinners for his town and a neighboring town. They smoke about 1200 lbs of meat every year for the occasion. “There are lots of guys cooking, lots of smokers smoking (some really huge ones), lots of fun and very little sleep!”
10) He has worked in the chemical and environmental fields for the same company for over 40 years and plans on retiring early next year. Congrats, Red Apple Guy!
Feast your eyes on 10 of Red Apple Guy’s top dishes. From brats and chicken to biscuits and bread, here are 10 recipes that we’re loving.
Chili Chicken + 9 more killer recipes »