We are delighted to introduce you to this month’s featured home cook, JackieOhNo! A member since 2006, Jackie lives in the Hudson Valley (N.Y.) and has shared more than 800 recipes here. However, she wasn’t always a home chef. A self-taught cook, Jackie grew up watching her Italian mother and grandmother in the kitchen, but didn’t start cooking herself until her early 20s proving that it’s never too late to learn!
The Top 10 Things You Need To Know About JackieOhNo!
1. She prefers simpler dishes to more time-consuming and complicated fare. One Christmas Eve, she stayed up until 3:30 in the morning making a beautiful buche de Noel (which required beating 1 pound of butter, 1 tablespoon at a time!). While it was delicious, it was also an exhausting undertaking. Going forward Jackie opted for quicker, crowd-pleasing recipes.
2. Jackie cooks from the heart. She spends 3 hours every Sunday preparing meals for her boyfriend to reheat and eat throughout the week. The ease of finding healthy, portable recipes got her hooked on Food.com.
3. Growing up she was clueless in the kitchen. “I remember, as a teenager, offering money to my sister to make me a sandwich. That’s how incompetent I was.” Once Jackie was older she decided to learn how to cook by following recipes she found in the New York Times.
4. She has three adoring rescue pets — Delilah and Henry (cats) and Zoe (a boxer-pit bull mix). While a cute little dog would be nice, in Jackie’s words, she is “fated to adopt pit bull mixes since there is a limited pool of adopters for them.”
5. A CSA (community-supported agriculture) farm membership has given her cooking a seasonal vibe depending on the fresh produce and ingredients available. Food.com recipes come in handy for turning unfamiliar produce into new favorites.
6. She loves her job in commercial real estate. “Not only do I represent some major national retailers and landlords, but I get great satisfaction in helping Mom-and-Pop businesses and startup restaurants find the right location!”
7. She will never buy bottled salad dressing.
8. Her favorite travel destinations are Ireland and New Orleans, locations that she fears make her sound like quite the drinker!
9. Her favorite dishes are popular! Over the years she has become known for her corned beef, split pea soup, chicken Milanese, Swedish crème, Irish soda bread, manicotti and pies. She has a grown son who still begs for her chili, marinara sauce with meatballs and meatloaf. Jackie credits her Irish-born father for the authenticity of her Irish dishes.
10. JackieOhNo’s name…is not Jackie! Her name is Sheila but she was nicknamed Jackie by her boyfriend over 30 years ago as a reference to Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis.
Jackie’s rule of thumb is that simpler dishes can taste just as good as those complex ones that keep you up until 3 AM. From pesto to guac, these 10 picks can be on the table in less than 30 minutes.
Recent Members of the Month: